WallacePancher Group (WPG) and the Mills Group teamed to create a new plaza for the Monongalia County Commission in the heart of downtown Morgantown, WV. The role of WPG was to synthesize the wishes of the commissioners with the Mills Group historical research to come up with a contextually relevant public space and memorial. Design considerations include:
- Accessibility for persons with disabilities to the front door.
- Creation of a veterans memorial that incorporates both existing and potential future monuments.
- Outdoor spaces for public gatherings and ceremonies.
- A scale replica of WV’s Monongahela River in glass pavement with color changing LED internal lighting.
- Design lighting to highlight improvements and historic courthouse.
- More efficient and recognizable access to the plaza.
- Increased green spaces, native plantings, and rain gardens.