Market Plaza is the location of the original Wheeling, Virginia Market houses which were central to daily life in the city as well as being the location of slave auctions. In the mid-20th Century a plaza design by the renowned landscape architect Brooks Wigginton took the place of the demolished market houses. Hays Landscape Architecture Studio, a WallacePancher Group Company, worked with Wheeling, WV leaders to redesign the aging plaza for its 21st Century needs. In 2015, construction of the plaza was complete. Highlights include:
- Creating reference in pavement of the slave auction block adjacent to interpretive signage.
- Rehabilitation approach to the historic cultural landscape design keeping in context of Brooks Wigginton original design
- Increased green space for enjoyment and decreased storm water runoff.
- Introduction of seating/gathering areas for modern users of the plaza.
- Increased parking/access along with pedestrian only areas for safer, accessible plaza use.
- Salvage of 50+ year old trees with next generation tree introduction.